After buying a Ring Video Doorbell we were very frustrated that it would not connect or even see the Wi-Fi connection in our house.
Here is a guide on how we fixed it. We found this problem with Virgin Media and Super Hub 3, and of course in the UK, however it can apply to any provider or router as the issue is non-specific.
All-new Ring Video Doorbell | 1080p HD video, Advanced Motion Detection, and easy installation (2nd Gen)
All-new Ring Video Doorbell 3 | HD video, improved motion detection, and easy installation
What went wrong?
The setup process is very similar to other Smart Home Tech – you connect to the devices own Wi-Fi
Then from within Rings app you select your own Wi-Fi network.
This is where the problem began – the app showed every single network except the Wi-Fi network we needed.
After a few failed setup attempts the device seems to become non-responsive not allowing a phone to connect to its network.
After a frustrating hour we found out what the problem was and how to fix it.
How to fix it!
1. Check that the Wi-fi network you are trying to connect to is on 2.4Ghz – Ring only works with 2.4Ghz, unless you have the Ring Pro.
2. Press the orange button on the reverse of Ring for 30 seconds – this is a factory reset and broke the loop of ‘unable to join’ and allows you to start the process again form scratch.
3. Check your Wi-Fi is on channel 1 – 11 as Ring does not support 12 or 13. This is not mentioned anywhere in their literature however we found it hidden away on their website.
4. If your Wi-Fi is on channel 11 or 12 change it to a channel 1 – 11. You will need to connect to your hub/routers admin page to change the channel – don’t worry it’s very easy to do and will not ‘break’ anything.
Just make sure you check for congestion on that channel prior to choosing it or you could experience other issues. (see our guide on How to choose the best Wi-Fi channel here.)
5. Your Ring Video Door Bell should now see you Wi-Fi network and you can continue setup!
If you have any other Ring setup issues feel free to comment and we will see if we can help.